Gresham Smith’s Transportation Market Leaders to Speak at Southeastern ITS Summit
September 22, 2022
Gresham Smith is proud to announce that four thought leaders from the firm’s Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSM&O) group will be speaking at the Southeastern ITS Summit in Atlanta.
The conference brings together innovators in intelligent transportation systems (ITS) from across the Southeast, including ITS Georgia, ITS Carolinas, ITS Florida, ITS Tennessee and Gulf Region ITS for a joint annual meeting. Professionals from Gresham Smith will be speaking during the following technical sessions:
- If You Build It, They Will Come—TDOT’s I-24 MOTION: Meredith Cebelak, Tennessee TSM&O Department Leader at Gresham Smith, and Lee Smith, Interim Traffic Operations Director at the Tennessee Department of Transportation will discuss the first-of-its-kind testbed along I-24 in the Nashville-Davidson County Metro area. The I-24 MOTION testbed will provide an environment for testing advanced traffic management and automated vehicle technologies in real freeway traffic.
- Post-Game Analysis—The City of Franklin’s First Adaptive Signal Deployment: Meredith Cebelak and Adam Moser, Traffic Engineer at the City of Franklin, Tennessee, will speak about their experience leading the City’s first adaptive signal control technology system along three corridors. The presentation will provide a behind-the-scenes look at the City’s operation of the system and insights about the system’s performance and measures of effectiveness.
- Fiber-Optic Mapping and Management: Julian Bordelon, ITS Specialist at Gresham Smith, and Alaa Shams, ITS Project Manager at the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, will discuss LADOTD’s fiber optic mapping and management project to compile a central database of all transportation fiber optic communications infrastructure and associated ITS devices. The database contains information for devices and fiber in 26 of Louisiana’s parishes, which accounts for approximately 400 devices and 700 miles of infrastructure. The presentation will provide an in-depth look into the fiber optic mapping and management system and future use cases.
- Four Natural Disasters and a Bombing: A Look at Network Reliability: Greg Poston, P.E., Broadband Department Leader at Gresham Smith, will present on network resiliency challenges and restoration efforts from a series of natural disasters in Middle Tennessee, including an ice storm in 1994, a tornado in 1998, a historic flood in 2010 and another tornado in 2020. Poston will also review insights into network vulnerability and the restoration challenges following the 2020 Christmas Day bombings in downtown Nashville.
- SunGuide: The Incubator for Innovations in Smart Safety: Carla Holmes, Senior TSM&O Engineer at Gresham Smith, and Christine Shafik, State TSM&O Software Engineer at the Florida Department of Transportation will present on FDOT’s innovative SunGuide® Software. The software is Florida’s statewide advanced traffic management software that enables FDOT’s regional transportation management centers to carry out functions for the real-time, 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, management and operation of Florida’s transportation system. They will present on the latest enhancements to the software aimed at improving motorist and first responder safety through 7 new innovations.
To learn more about the summit, visit https://seitssummit.com/.